Have you ever wondered what the difference is between a canoe and a kayak? Well, officially, you sit in a kayak and should kneel in a canoe and a kayak uses a double bladed paddle and a canoe a single bladed paddle. There's your first lesson in canoeing!
The Centre uses the Historic Exeter Ship Canal and River Exe for its introductory Canoeing activities. This offers sheltered inland water with no dangerous rapids or weirs and can safely be used all the year round. More advanced groups can progress to paddle the local weirs or go further afield to the Upper Exe or the River Dart for Inland white-water canoeing or to one of the local reservoirs, lakes or estuaries for some open water canoeing.
Canoeing options include:
- Placid water and canoe touring and camping.
- Canoe Expeditioning including Duke of Edinburgh Award.
- White-Water Canoeing
- Open Water Canoeing
- Canoe, poling and sailing!
It could be a quiet, relaxed canal or placid river paddle, taking in the picturesque local environment & wildlife in a canoe or following some initial training you can try a thrilling introduction or more advanced course on moving water or on open water consolidating and progressing the skills you have learnt.
Canoeing offers a relax approach to paddlesport and many find it more relaxing and comfortable than paddling a kayaking. Canoes are a very versatile craft and can be paddled tandem or solo, loaded with equipment for a days tour or a prelonged expedition. They can be paddled, as well as rafted, sailed and poled. Canoeing is a very sociable and is a great team-building activity for all ages and ability levels.
What is available?
- Courses and sessions for groups, individuals, families and friends.
- 1:1 personal tuition.
- Solo paddling clinics
- Canoe Rescue clinics
- Courses and activity sessions for complete beginners wishing to try this fantastic activity for the very first time.
- Courses working towards BCU Paddlepower Awards for young people.
- Courses working towards BCU Performance Awards leading from BCU 1 Star to BCU 4 Star.
- Courses and activity sessions for intermediate and advanced paddlers.
We will introduce you to canoeing, giving you support, encouragement and tuition you need, at a pace which suits and takes you as far as you wish to go. Who knows, in a few years we may have our next Olympic Champion or top level coach!